Tri-State Chess Club Ladder
Commentary by Bob
here to view the Chess Ladder
here to view the What If I win or lose view of the world
:) or view How What If works
Oct 14th Matches
Oct 7th Matches
- Bruce and Pat went at each other, with Pat winning 3, Bruce 2, and 2 draws! After all that there ratings didn't change :D!
and Will Atkinson played, and Frank got his king, bishop and rook
trapped with no good squares to move to without losing a pawn. Will on
the other hand could advance his pawns and king and controlled the
center. The net result was a win for Will.
- Bob Flanagan and Richard Neal had an interesting match. The match went back and forth until Bob was able to fork Richard's rooks with a pawn. A rook up was all it took to win.
- To view the above game, click on Neal vs Flanagan Oct 14.
Scroll down to the mini-chessboards to see a move by move analysis.
The mini-boards show alternate moves and the pawns up for White and
Black. This was generated by www.chesspractice.com
- The match between Mendenhall and Wolfgang went back
and forth until move 49 when Bill sacked his knight for a pawn to
prevent Wolfgang from having two connected past pawns. But
Wolfgang had a bishop, rook and a passed pawn and Bill just a
- To view the above game, click on Mendenhall vs Wolfgang Oct 14.
Scroll down to the mini-chessboards to see a move by move
analysis. The mini-boards show alternate moves and the pawns up
for White and Black. This was generated by www.chesspractice.com
- The tournaments continue!
and Will Atkinson had a battle that was even until Wolf moved the
wrong pawn. This allowed Will to drive pawns down the center with
Neal and Bill Mendenhall had a battle. Near the end, Richard
appeared to have it won, but didn't take what appeared to be a free
rook. Its possible that Bill could have stalemated with repeated
checks, but I didn't see it. Richard must have, or missed the rook
take. At the end of the game, Bill was down to about thirty
seconds and up a queen but Richard had a pawn on the 6th rank.
After about a dozen moves with Bill not finding a way to win,
they agreed on a draw.
- I didn't see any of the B tournament matches. Next time I'll spend time watching them.
compared the matches in the ladder to Bruce's results and found about a
half dozen from the tournament that were not recorded. I've
included in the ladder.
- Both Will Atkinson and Bruce Bucari have sent updates on the A and B tournaments. I've posted those on the club news page.
Sept 30th Matches
Sept 23rd Matches
Wooley was back and in force! He played many of his B tournament
matches, going 8-0! This netted him 40 points on the ladder
and put him tied with Bob for 10th place.
- No surprises in the A tournament. Wolfgang and Frank did draw, but they are close in ratings, and draws do happen.
- Charles Murter lost more than he wond, going to his lowest ladder ranking since January 2018
Penjuke steped up his game with five wins against closely rated
oppoents. And he won against Cliff who is much higher. This
jumped him to 19th place with the resulitng 78 point gain.
- A lot of of B tournament matches were played. I'm not certain who is ahead :). I'll ask Bruce and update when I hear back.
upsets in the A tournament. Most of the matches were over
quickly. However, the Flanagan-Mendenhall match lasted 4 hours +, with
Bill finally winning
is recovering from his his summer golf play and has gained ladder
points the past two weeks after being beat up on when he returned :D.
- Joe Brank has jumped 150 points in the past month! Way to go Joe
- Charles Jay must be studying a new book! He has jumped 100 points in a month and a half
- Cliff's game is slipping, as his rating is nearing an all time low. I'm certain we'll hear about it.
- Bill Mendenhall needs only 12 more points to reach his all time high on the ladder. He's been on an upward run since July.
Murter has dropped from his all time high of 1534 back in early
June to 1397. We'll ask Charles to lend him the book he is
- And Richard
Neal has gone in the opposite direction, approaching his 1750!
He split games with Frank, which helped his ranking.
Sept 16th Matches
- All the matches were slooow matches as both the A and B tournament is going on. No major upsets.
Sept 2nd Matches
August 25th Matches
lot of players who hadn't been to the club in several weeks showed up.
And a lot of players who had been showing up took the holiday off!
Welcome back wWolfgang, Cliff, Van, and others
took the holiday off so Bill Mendenhall's victories, which included a
victory over Wolfgang, took him 28 points above Bob in their
battle on the ladder.
came back from several weeks off. Normally when he comes back, he
wins. Unfortunately, his concentration must have not vacationed
enough. He lost two and drew one.
Murter has been on a downward slide since he hit hs all time high of
1534. He's down to 1380. Sounds like his preferred
opponents have figured out how to play him!
August 19th Matches
set a new milestone! He played himeself and won. Twice :D.
The entry for White was "Bruce" and the entry for Black was
"Bruce Bucari" Good try!!!
- Bruce and Pat Holland
are competing for the most games played. They are averaging 5
games a night. Bruce has the lead since we started the new ladder
two years ago. He has played 521 games. Pat has played 490. No
one else is close.
- Richard Neal must have read a good chess
book! He won five matches! Two against Frank.
Overall, Richard went up 48 points and took 7th place away from
- Charles Jay has been on a upward rating run for
the past few weeks. He's gained over a 100 points since August
5th. Jackie has been going in the opposite direction.
Mendenhall and Bob Flanagan played two games and each won one. Going in
Bob was a point behind Bill. Because Bob was the underdog. :D,
The rating system made his win over Bill worth more than Bill's
win over Bob. Bob now has retaken 9th place from Bill with 1593.0
points. Bill has 1592.7!
August 12th Matches
Mendenhall managed to jump ahead of Bob, by one point! As I left
early due to exhaustion (after playing in a a daze against Tom and
losing), I didn't see any of the highlights or lowlights of the
- We did have Tony Durkin show backup and he drew Will Atkinson, which means it was a tough played game for both.
- Pat Holland had a good day, going up 94 points and to #18 on the ladder.
a few of our regulars were not there. Most likely due to end of summary
nice weather and vacations. With September rolling around attendance
should increase back to normal.
August 5th Matches
Forest returned after almost a six month absence. Don plays on
Thursdays at West Chester. He lost against Richard but had strong
wins against Clift and Joe. Welcome back Don!
of players at the club and lots of matches! All the tables were
full. And Jackie brought food as always. Thanks Jackie!
Distillo has a phenomenal night! 8 wins, no losses. In one game
Richard Neal gifted Tom his queen. What looked like a perfect
queen move by Richard was almost perfect. Until the unseen bishop took
- Bob and
Van split matches. In the first match, Bob's knights forked the
queen and a took twice :D. In the second match, Van played very
aggressively and very carefully and easily won.
and Bill Mendenhall then played. Bob checkmated Bill with 25
seconds left on his clock. Bill had 1 second left the last 10-15 moves
so it was a super speed ending. The game was even for 40+ moves
until Bob got the advantage with a bishop versus a knight and a king in
the center vs a king in the corner.
- Bruce, Bill Penjuke and Charles Jay all had good nights, going up 50-60 points each.
Holland set a record I think. He dropped 181 points!!!!
Bill Penjuke, Bruce, and Charles Murter all had multiple
victories. I suspect Pat will have revenge next week.
July 29th Matches
- Lots of players at the club and lots of matches!
- Jackie Brown had a great day, winning three matches against higher rated opponents and gaining 74 points!
battle between Bob, Bill M, and Van continues! Bob jumped form
10th to 8th with two powerful games against Van. Then Shannon took two
games off of Van. So Van dropped 38 points. Bill had a good
night, gaining 17 points, primarily from a draw with Will Atkinson..
It could have been a victory but few know how to do a
bishop-knight checkmate. Bob's victories over Van gave him enough
points, 26, to jump ahead of both players.
- Frank had a good day with three wins over Neal and one over Bob
of matches! We ran out of room on the front page and had to fill
in half the back. And then results were emailed to me on matches that
were not recorded.
got a note from Shannon Miles that he had to complete a tournament
match at Franklin Mills so missed this Monday. But he expects to be
attending regularly in August.
not certain how it happened but Bill Killinger got a draw against Will
Atkinson. Will then won victories over VAn Woolley and Jackie
- Bruce had a
fun day but had two losses to Bill Mendenhall, two to Pat
Holland, and two to Humaan Said. Bruce and Joe Brank are now tied
and we look forward to what happens when they play each other next week.
Said continues to move up the ladder. He beat Bob and Bob was mad
as he missed three moves, one of which would likely have won and one
that would have drew the game. SLOW play is the key!!!
- Pat Holland has a record for one of the biggest gains of the year, 118 points! Six victories and a draw!
Mendenhall and Bob Flanagan had a hour and half battle. However
Bill was on the defensive most of the game, and when Bill went for what
looked like a free pawn (I think frustration had sat in), it turned out
to be a trap that ended up with Bill lossing a minor piece.. Both
have three wins, two draws and three losses! And are just 5
Neal, after some tough losses at USCF quads last weekend decided to
take revenge on Tom, winning both matches. And this to Tom, who
had just lost two matches against Frank Jackson.
after realizing that Bob could see all the moves (and lost to Bob),
when on to buit Jackie twice and Charles Murter twice, gaining 31
July 22nd Matches
- Not as many matches as last week. Several players, who typically play faster than average matches were vacationing.
Mendenhall has lots of people gunning for him! Humaan Said won
his match against Bill, ending up with more sevaral more pawns than
Bill had.with the obvious results. Penjuke and Bob drew against
Bill. Bill lost 40 points.....
almost checkmated Bob in their match. But in the end game, Bob
ran to where all the remain pieces were in hopes of getting a
stalemate. And Bill, thinking he had a free knight, pinned it against
Bob's King. Unfortunately, that mean that Bob couldn't move and
the game was a stale mate.
and Will Atkinson had a two hour battle, with Will ending up with just
one more pawn.... Next time Bob is going to ask for one of Will's pawns
to even things out.
- Wolfgang was rained out of golf so was able to attend. Hopefully we will have rain next Monday...
saw only a little of Wolfgang's games against Neal. To say they
got into some unusual attacks and lost pieces easily is an
July 15th Matches
had 39 matches reported, and I know several others most likely were
played and not recorded. It was a very busy chess club meeting!
- Shannon Miles had a good day with 4 wins and no losses!
- Wolfgang hasn't won a game since May. Well over a month :((((. :D
- Richard lost two games to Frank and then turned around and won two games!
- Charles Murter gained 74 points.
is almost a four way tye for 12th pace with Charels Murter, Cliff
Koehler, Bill Killinger, and Rich Henry all within a few points of each
other and constantly switching places. :).
Holland, Bill Penjuke, Humaan Said, Bruce Bucari, Jacki Brown and
Charles Jay are all within 30 points of each other! One wonders
when one will find a way to leap ahead. It will happen!
- July 8th Matches
- Lots of matches and four new people came to the club!
- Van Wooley had a great night, going 6 for 1. He had some spectactular checkmates,
- Van Wooley, Bill Mendenhall and Bob Flanagan are fighting for 8th place. But it looks like Van is pulling away.
- Will Atkinson and Bob Flanagan had a great match. But Will won it in the end game with a brilliant rook sacrifice.
- Bill Mendenhall had a good day with some wins and loses, gaining 18 points.
- July 1st Matches
forgot to mention but last week Greg Nolan showed up. He's 2100+. He
and Will Atkinson played a match that ended in a draw. Greg is our new #1
- Not as many matches this week. Several players are playing in the big tournament up in Philly.
Mendenhall's game was off and on! Unfortunately, more off than
on. Bill lost twice to Van Wooley. In the first game, Bill was
playing White and Van managed to force Bill's pieces to stay near the
king while Van's pieces got to eat up pawns. In the second game,
they took turns being ahead until Van got such a commanding lead, that
even though he messed up and had to sack a rook for a queening pawn, he
- Van also had good games against other players. Net result is van jumped up two places to 8th. Bill dropped to 10th.
- Bruce gained 85 points with wins over Bill Mendenhall, Jackie, and Bill Penjuke.
- June 24th Matches
- Lots of matches! Matches overflowed to the back page :D
- Will Atkinson and Shannon Miles had a long match, wth Will winning in the end when Shannon missed a move
- Bob Flanagan and Bill Mendenhall went at it but Bob won the middle game, going up two pieces with Bill then having no play.
and Richard Neal exchanged victories. It was a quiet match.
Cliff then went on to split games with Charles Jay.
- Jackie pulled an upset with a draw against Shannon, who is 800 points highter
- June 17th Matches
- Sorry I wasn't able to make the club Monday. Our house refinishing project is keeping me busy - Bob.
Wooley definitely has Richard Neal's number! Anyone wanting to
beat Richard needs to get a less fron from Van :D. Richard and
Van split matches Monday. Van's victories over Richard has
definitely boasted his rating!
made it back to the club after being away for over a month. He
and Will Atkinson played a long match with Shannon winning. I
suspect that Bill Mendenhall wore Will out as they played earlier.
just noticed that Jackie may be turning her game around, gaining over
100 points in the past few weeks. Bruce is moving in the opposite
- If Rich Henry plays good next week, he will likely be at an all time personal high since over a year ago!
- Pat Holland is playing good! He reached his highest level since May 2018!!!
- Cliff has been losing more than winning, and has dropped under 1400.
- The big surprise is Bill Mendenhall. He's gained over 150 points in the past month and a half!
- June 10th Matches
- There were lots of players at the club and lots of matches
had a new member, Joshua Cook from Oxford show up. A bit of a
drive, but hopefully he will make it every now and then.
- The biggest upset was Van Wooley beating Richard Neal not once but twice! Van gained 53 points from these victories.
- Bob and Bill Mendenhall had a long battle, almost two hours. Bill accidently checkmated Bob :D
- Bill also played Cliff and Cliff once again affirmed that he can't beat Bill. :)
- June 3rd Matches
- Bob almost drew Will Atkinson in a hard fought game. But accidently put a bishop on the wrong square in the end game.....
- Bill Mendenhall had a hard fought match will Will that began about 9:30 and wasn't over until 11. And it was a draw.
- Cliff had trouble with Bill Mendenhall, losing two in a row. Cliff's been on a downhill run for awhile.
Neal and Frank Jackson played three matches. I saw part of
the last match and Richard had a good chance to win when Frank
thought he could win with a rook sacrifice. It didn't work and
Frank had to work for a draw.
- May 27 Matches
- Lots of matches!
- Bill Killinger had a good day, moving up to 14th place with a gain of 29 points.
was at the club again even though it is golf season! He went head
to head with Bill Mendenhall and won both matches.
- Richard Neal was back after being out for a few weeks. He played Wolfgang and drew, and played Will Atkinson, and lost.
- May 20 Matches
and Will Atkinson when head to head for over two hours. The game
ended in a draw with each having three pawns facing each other backed
by their kings.
- Jackie ended up losing all her matches, but the pizza she brought in was a winner!
Wooley and Bill Mendenhall played two games with Bill winning both.
In the last game, Van had six pawns to three but was down the
exchange. Van almost got a pawn to become a queen but Bill was
able to stop the threat and win.
- Bill is at his all time rating high, 1614, with a steady run up for the past two months.
ran into trouble with Pat Holland winning both games they played. Cliff
is at his lowest rating in over a year. Pat's rating has been
going up fo rhte past month, and if he plays well next week, he will be
at his highest rating in over a year.
- May 13 Matches
- We had a fair number of matches on Monday.
had a bad day, which we all most likely heard. He lost two
matches to Bob and two to Tom. Cliff was expecting Bob and Tom to
miss opportunities and neither missed one.
- Charles Jay had a good night, going up 4 in ranking, to #16. He gained 62 points.
- Pat Holland jumped from 18 to 14 and gained 92 points with six victories.
- Bill Penjuk, Jackie and Bruce were the the ones victimized by Pat and Charle
- May 6 Matches
- Not as many matches as last week. A number of regulars were not at the club. I suspect the nice weather was a factor!
Mendenhall and Bob Flanagan had a two and half hour battle. Bill
kept trying to checkmate Bob and finally succeed with less than a
minute leff on his clock.
- Bill then decided to play Will Atkinson. And that ended up in a 78 move match!
Penjuke lost his focus in matches against Bruce Bucari. Bill dropped 42
points and Bruce gained 53 from the victories! Way to go Bruce!
Murter seems to be recovering from his losses in March. He's
gained backed close to 100 points but still has a 100 go to get to his
all time high.
- April 29 Matches
- Many, many matches - over 40!
- Shannon Miles and Will Atkinson
played and Shannon won. I suspect there will be a lot of tough matches
between these two.
- Bill Penjuke went 5 out of 7
and gained 42 points.
- Wolfgang dropped matches to
both Cliff Koehler and Richard Neal. This dropped him 31
- Bill Mendenhall had a good day,
going 4-0 and gaining 43 points to move into 9th place
- Bob and Van traded matches.
I suspect this will happen again!
- Cliff, after losing two matches
to the unbeatable (per Cliff) Bill Mendenhall, turned around and beat
- April 22 Matches
- One big upset, if I read the ladder results: Jackie beat
Frank! But I do want to confirm.
continues his climb to the top! He has consistently improved
since his return from golfing. We all should take a golfing
Neal and Shannon Miles must have had a good time. Each won a
and then there was a draw. Richard gained 18 points as a
- Bill Penjuke and Pat Holland
continue to trade points each week. This was Bill's week to get the
- April 15 Matches
- Lots of matches. And play continued until after 11PM!
- Shannon has a strong lock on 3rd place, with
wins over everyone he played Monday
- Wolfgang has a good day, with a win and draw against
- Frank and Bob had bad days! Not as bad as
Charles Murter's day. Enough said......
- Cliff had a victory over Frank, helping him jump 58
- April 8 Matches
- Not as many matches as last week, but a lot of long
matches, which means more thinking!
welcomed Eric Kurtz last night! Eric is USCF 2070 and
graduated from U of D and worked for awhile in Canada. He's back in
- Eric played Will Atkinson. He could
have drawn the first game but took a chance and went for a win. Will
found the move that gave him the win instead.
- Shannon Miles had a good day, gaining 13 points with
- Charles Murter is now just above Bill Mendenhall now.It
looks like these two need to go head to head again. Charles leads 2-0.
- April 1 Matches
- The ladder has been updated.
Lots of matches: 27 in total!
- Bob had a bad day, finding ways
to take winning positions in two games into losing positions!
Greed will do that :)
- Charles Murter continues to
gain points, up 19 this week.
- Van Wooley made up for a bad
day a few weeks ago, gaining 27 this week!
- March 25 Matches
- The ladder has been updated along with the what if resuls
(showing how you would do if you win or lose against another player)
last week, lots of matches played at the club, but only a few were
ladder matches. Most were blitz matches as the club is running a blitz
Atkinson had a tough match he won against Richard Neal. Will
played Tom Distillo and Tom won. Not certain if Richard
pat credit!!!! I'll let Richard and Tom decide :).
- Paul Shields returned after a four month absense due to
his work schedule.
- Paul was a bit rusty, splitting
matches with Bruce Bucari and Bill Mendenhall
- Will Atkinson is almost back to
his pre Richard Neal level, having won all his matches since then.
- Wolfgang is at an all time
personal high of 1760
Distillo is back up to 1656 but it looks like it has been a battle with
a combination of wins and losses since his return after Christmas work
at his store kept him away.
- Frank has run into a rough
start of the year, dropping down to 1852
took off about a month and half back around December. Since
he has been sliding and is at his lowest ranking since May of last year.
Mendenhall's rating crashed back in mid January, down to about 1475,
but he has fought his way back to around 1525 since then.
- Charles Murter hit a low of
1350 back in November but is almost back to 1500!
- March 18 Matches
a few ladder matches. However, there were many matches played
the club as this was the second week of the blitz tournament.
- March 11 Matches
- The ladder has been
- Only a few matches this week. Most of the
members played in a blitz tournament at the club and we don't count
blitz matches in ladder standings.
- March 4th Matches
ladder has been updated. 40 matches! Lots of players at the
John Jacob is our newest member! Welcome John!
- Wolfgang continues his rise to
the top, with a victory over Frank Jackson.
- Charles Murter had a good day,
moving up to 14th and gaining 41 points with two victories over Cliff
and two over Pat Holland.
- Feb 25th Matches
- There were 36 matches for the
are missing several matches: I think Will had a match still
at the end of night. And Frank's matches against new member Shannon
Miler were not recorded. We'll update once they become available.
- Richard Neal handled Bob
easily! Bob gave up a center pawn in both games and that is
all it took
- Wolfgang dropped 13 points.
Among his matches was a loss to Cliff, that cost Wolf 19
points and gave Cliff 28 points
- Pat Holland had a good
night, gaining 46 points
got beaten up bad by several players,and dropped a bigh 106 points. Two
ways to stop the loss next time: win or play slower and play
fewer matches :D.
update: Frank played new member Shannon Miler and lost two
to him. Based on Frank's input (and lost of two games), we've
adjusted Shannon's starting rating to 1800. Frank and Shannon
within a few points of each other.
- Super late update (Mar3):
Richard Neal's late match win over Bill Mendenhall was
reported and added.
- Feb 18th Matches
looks like Wolfgang and Tom Distillo went at it strong, with Wolf
winning both matches. Wolfgang has a 7 to 5 edge over Tom
- Bill Mendenhall is still
searching for a win against Will Atkinson, to join the group of three
who have been Will!
- Bill Penjuke went 0 for 4
against different opponents. It must have been the water....
- Feb 11th Matches
- There were quite a few matches
and some interesting upsets!
and Wolfgang played two games and split victories. This
Wolfgang 12 points (-7 for the loss, but +19 for the win)
Mendenhall was upset by Pat Holland. Pat lost the first game
drew Bill in the second. And Bill was up three pawns! I think
Bill got in the trap of playing fast. Bill knew he was going
lose points with the draw as he was higher rated.
and Wolfgang finally paired off against each other after Wolfgang's
victory in the club tournament. Wolfgang decided to take
ownership of the A file and the H file with pawns to a3 and h3.
So, Bob decided to take control of the center and push pawns
the D and E files. Wolfgang finally tipped his king when Bob threatened
to queen one of three pawns on the 7th rank.
Neal arrived late, around 10PM. Richard's opponent for the
evening was Will Atkinson. Richard was highly motivated to
Wolfgang was going to put Bob ahead in the rankings. Richard pulled off
the upset with a victory over Will and retained his lead over Bob.
- Charles Murter played two games
and left, but both were victories over Pat Holland, gaining him 34
- Bruce gained points with a
victory over Bill Penjuke.
Distillo had a nice night with two victories over Bill Mendenhall and a
victory over Don Forest. What I saw of the match with Don was
was a hard fought match with a lot of careful strategic moves by both
- Feb 4th Matches
big winner of the night was Bill Mendenhall. He gained 37 points, most
from a victory over Bob. At one point in the game there were four
queens on the board!
- Wolfgang lost a few points
against Will Atkinson but gained them back with victories over Bruce.
Net change Zero!!! :D
- Pat Holland had another good
night, gaining 27 more points, moving up to 15th.
- Jan 28 Matches
- Lots of matches at the club: 35!
continues to gain points, up 27, with two victories over
Richard Neal. Details are sketchy, but it looked
like Richard went for a victory in one game but lost a piece and the
- Going into next week, Tom Distillo and Richard Neal are
just 8 points apart. Let's see if we can encourage them to do battle.
- Bill Mendenhall had a rough night, dropping 77 points and
going from 8th place to 10th place.
Holland seemed to have the magic touch winning far more than he lost,
with victories over Bill Mendenhall, Jackie, Bruce, and Bill Penjuke.
Pat went up 150 points and from 20th place to 17th.
- Jan 21, 2019 Matches
- Sorry for the late update on the chess ladder. I had
forgotten to do the update
- Biggest upset was Pat Holland had a victory over Bill
- Another big upset was Bruce winning four (yep 4!) matches
over Pat Holland
- Frank gave Wolfgang no quarter
in two matches. I'm certain Wolfgang will be after revenge
- Charles Murter had several
victories and moved up 43 points!
- Jan 15, 2019
- The chess ladder has been
updated for Monday's games.
- There were a lot of players at
the club! No Monday night football and no college
championship help :).
Moss, a 1500+ player, has returned! He joined back in the summer but
his work schedule changed so he couldn't come back. His
has changed and he's back! Expect tough matches against him.
Holland and Bruce Bucari beat up on each other, with each winning 3.5
games. I suspect we can just take the clock away from them as
they are playing so fast they don't need it :D. Because Bruce
lower rated, he gained points.
gained the most points (37) because of his split in games with Pat and
with two draws against Bill Killinger, who is about 200 points higher
and Bob swapped places on the ladder. Bob is now #7 and Tom #8.
Bob drew against Frank and won against Kevin Moss, gaining 22
points. Tom split matches against Van and lost to Will Atkinson. Net
loss was 10. Bob is now 11 points above Tom.
- Bill Mendenhall had a good
night, with +19 points. He's chasing Bob and is #9 on the ladder.
gained back some points against Frank (who beat up on him last week).
He did so by Bob drawing Frank (resulting in Frank dropping 5 points),
and Wolfgang have several victories, gaining 8 points.
- Jan 9, 2019
chess ladder has been updated for Monday's games. We had a
number of games played even though a few players were missing
(Alabama-Clemson game effect?)
Flanagan and Will Atkinson played to a draw after 27 moves.
was a classic queen pawn declined with few weak moves by either player.
- Frank was on his game, taking
two from Wolfgang.
- Jackie won several games
against higher rated players. Looks like a few weeks off
improved her game.
- Jan 4, 2019
- The chess ladder has been
updated for the matches on Jan 2
- The upset of the evening was
Wolfgang's victory over Frank. Frank then took revenge and won the 2nd
Flanagan and Bill Mendenhall had a one our battle that ended in a
draw. However, they swapped positions (Bob to 9, Bill to 10)
after Bill lost a later match to Charles Jay
- Bruce had a rough night,
dropping 76 points
- Pat Holland was on his game,
and went up 85 points with several victories over Bill Penjuke and
- Jan 2, 2019
- The chess ladder has been
updated for the matches on Dec 26
- Dec 20, 2018
- The chess ladder has been
updated for the Dec 17th matches
- We have a new ladder member:
Drew Fleming, rated 1800. He gave Will Atkinson a tough game.
- Richard Neal and Bob Flanagan
took on Wolfgang. Wolfgang drew each and got a win against
- Charles Jay had a great night,
winning all has matches!
- Dec 7, 2018
- The chess ladder has been updated for the Dec 3rd matches
to the Eagles playing Monday night, a number of players stayed home,
and all left early to watch the game, so not as many matches as usual!
- Charles Jay (1169) had a
victory over Bill Killinger (1430)! Charles jumped 40 points!
- Wolfgang continues to move up
on the ladder! He split matches with Frank and went up 15
- Bill Mendenhall has a firm lock
on 10th with a draw against Will Atkinson.
- I just noticed that Bruce has
jumped 129 points in the past three months! Wow!
- Nov 29, 2018
- The chess ladder has been
updated for the Nov 26th matches.
- Bob and Van did a three game
match with Bob taking all three.
- Bill Mendenhal and Cliff had
two matches and Bill got victories in both.
- Pat Holland won four of his
five games, jumping 68 points! This moved him from 21st on
the ladder to 16!
Murter has been having a tough two months. He's dropped from 1467 to
1253, over 100 points! His high was 1510, so we need a big
- Bill Killenger jumped from 17th
to 14th place!
- Nov 25, 2018 - The chess
ladder has been updated for Nov 19th matches
- Sorry for the delay - Thanksgiving....
- Only a few matches, as it was Thanksgiving week.
big match of the evening was the final A tournament match between Frank
Jackson and Richard Neal. The match could have gone to a
but Richard saw a possible checkmate and went for it. Unfortunately,
Frank was able to block the attack and queen his passed pawn.
were no major upsets. Wolfgang appears to have finally
how to beat Bruce, with Wolfgang getting two victories.
- Nov 14, 2018:
The chess ladder has been updated for Nov 12th matches
had a fair number of matches. Some games seemed to go real
quickly. When you play, longer clock settings with a longer
delay, like 30 minutes and 10 seconds or 45 minutes 10 seconds will
allow you much more think time and improve your chess. I see
games being lost because players are not studying the board to see what
their opponent did, and what they will do.
- Bob played Will
Atkinson in a 2 1/2 hour battle that ended in a draw.
Both players had chances for a win.
finally figured out how to win against Bruce! Unfortunately,
looks like Paul Shields has Wolfgang's number now :).
Henry had a really bad day :(. He lost all six of his
dropping 130 points and down four in the ratings. Hmmmm. Longer clock
times next time?
Mendenhall is back from his back surgery. Bill
Killinger took advance of his absence from chess with a
But Bill M. then got revenge with two wins over Pat Holland.
- Nov 6, 2018:
The chess ladder has been updated for Nov 5th matches
- Not as many matches. Lots of rain and several
regular players didn't show up. We expect them back next week.
- The A tournament matches over. Will Atkinson
has to figure out who won or if there is a multi-player tie.
- In A tournament matches, Will Atkinson beat Frank,
Wolfgang beat Bob, and Will Saxe beat Tom
- Will had a slightly better board position against
Frank, allowing him to queen a pawn
tried to get Wolfgang confused by changing the opening. That
didn't work :D. Nor did a beautiful knight sacrifice :).
- Will Saxe said he beat Tom by having multiple different
attacks that couldn't be countered.
- Kevin Moss said his work
schedule has changed to 3-11 on Mondays, so won't be at the club until
work changes for the better.
- Will Saxe also had two
victories against Pat Holland. Will went up 55 points and
moved into 15th place
- Bill Penjuke had three
victories over Bruce and gained a bunch of points and moved from 20th
- Oct 30, 2018: The chess
ladder has been updated for Oct 29th matches
- Big upset: Bruce beat
Wolfgang. And he's done it before. Sounds like Bruce has
- Bruce went up to #17 in the
ladder. Wolfgang dropped to #8 from #6
- Bob beat Richard in the
tournament match. And almost beat him in a second game but ran out of
- Paul Shields was back! He said
it may be difficult for him to get back often. He had a strong win over
- Cliff had a winning position
against Rich but missed an agressive winning move.
Murter played four games but got two draws that hurt his rating as
draws against lower rating players aren't good! So, think
on offering or accepting a draw.
- Tom Distillo and Van Woolley
ended up with a draw in their tournament match. All that was left on
the board were two kings :D!
- Oct 25, 2018: The chess
ladder has been updated for Oct 22nd matches
matches, between Will Atkinson and ??? has not been entered as I could
not read the hand writing. Clear, readable hand
- Bruce (1201) went up 112 points
with a upset victory over Wolfgang (1700). Way to go Bruce!
and Bob went head to head, with Tom winning. Tom almost fell into a
trap but at the last second moved his hand back and re-thought his move
new players, Brock, Wayne Normam and Jason Cohen, who have showed up
only once and its been two months ago, are no longer shown on
ladder due to inactivity. Let's hope they show back up.
Murte had a string of victories, and us up 41 points and in 16th place.
Charles is at 1449, fixing to break into the 1500 level!
- Oct 22, 2018: Chess
ladder updated for Oct 15 matches
- More matches than last week
- No upsets in the A bracket
- In the B bracket, Rich Henry won over Cliff. It went to
Ladsen and Paul Shields were at the club. Preston played several
matches and that puts him back on the ladder. Welcome back!
- Oct 12, 2018: Update on
Oct 8 matches
- I didn't realize that Richard Neal is still undefeated in
the A bracket! My apologies. GO RICHARD!!!
provided me with the B Bracket standings, and several matches were not
included in the ladder results. I've added the missing matches in as
Oct 8th matches, as I am uncertain on the actual date played. It will
not affect the ladder standings standings.
- View the latest B Bracket
Rich and Cliff are tied at 10 victories each, and they most likely will
play each other this coming Monday
- I just noticed that with
Wolfgang's victory, he has moved in to 4th place, just six points above
- Oct 8, 2018
upset: Wolfgang beat Will Atkinson. This leaves
the only undefeated player in the A bracket. If Will beats
in their upcoming match, we'll have lots of players with one loss tied
- In other A round matches, Frank
beat Will Saxe, Bob beat Van Wooley, and Tom beat Charles.
- Jackie and Cliff played their B
tournament and it was a noisy match. We do ask them to be
quiet going forward.
- We have several other matches
in the results, but not certain which ones are B bracket matches.
- Cliff and Bill Mendenhall
- Oct 1, 2018
- Will Saxe got an upset by beating Bob
- Frank And Will Atkinson are tied in the A Tournament
- Cliff continues to
stay ahead in the B tournament.
- Fewer matches are players are
taking longer to play their matches because of the tournament
- Sept 24, 2018
- Bob got another half an upset. Bob and Will
Atkinson drew there A bracket match that lasted until 10:30!
weren't any other upsets in the A bracket. There are five
undefeated players: Atkinson, Flanagan, Jackson, Brunke, and
Neal! Could we have a five way tie for club champion??
- In the B Bracket, Rich Henry and Charles Murter swapped
my count, Rich Henry and Cliff Koehler are tied at 6 points in the B
bracket, but the official tally will come from Bruce, and I'll post it
as soon as available.
- Sept 17, 2018
Flanagan got half an upset! He got a draw against Frank
Now if someone can help and knock off Will Atkinson.....
- Paul Shields returned and got an upset win over Tom
- Bill Mendenhall also upset Tom
and gained 9th place as a result!
- Bill Mendenhall and Will Saxe
played two late matches, each winning one.
- Sept 10, 2018
just updated the ladder for Sept 10th tournament matches. I
off in hopes of getting non tournament matches, but I'll get those
Neal and Tom Distello when head to head in the tournament.
have almost identical ladder rankings. Richard won, which put
up 13 points. And Tom dropped 13 points.
Killinger and Cliff Koehler, both close in rankings went head to head
in the B tournament. Bill won both and went up 33 points
Cliff went down 33.
- Sept 3, 2018
chess ladder has been updated for today's matches. There were fewer
matches as it was Labor Day Monday, but many still showed up.
Brunke and Ali Wilson showed back up! Wolfgang had a good
with victories over Will Saxe and Van Wooley. Ali lost two
fought matches against Will Atkinson.
- Bill Mendenhall won two matches
Neal and Bob Flanagan went head to head in a warm up for the club
tournament. The first game was a long hard fought game that
ended draw. The next two
games were split with a win each.
- Charles Murter may be going for
the most improved! He has gained 141 points in the past three
- August 27, 2018
- As always, lots of matches!
- Charles Murter has a great day,
going up 31 points with two victories over Pat Holland.
- Bill Mendenhall had a slightly
better day, going up 33 points!
- Will Saxe and Bruce had bad
days :). It happens to all of us.
and Richard played 6 matches. Frank won five and Richard one.
Richard's rating hardly changed! That's the beauty of using a ranking
system like the USCF, where player rankings are taken into account.
- Bob gained 8 points with a draw
against Will Atkinson, a lose to Bill Killinger and a win over Cliff.
- August 20, 2018
- 36 matches! 20 players!
- Richard Neal had a great day, moving up to #3 in the
rankings. Most of his victories came over Frank Jackson
added a new strong player. I hope I have the name right, "Druch". If
wrong, I'll correct ASAP. He gave Will Atkinson a very strong
battle. As such I placed him at 1700, competitive with Richard Neal and
- Van and Bob both dropped matches (but had a good time!)
- Charles Jay found a chess book he really liked and his
play was very strong in the openings! Watch out!
Moss, one of our new players, played strong against Pat Holland, and
moved into 7th place. Van and Bob will be gunning for him
- August 13, 2018
Woolley had a great night. Two wins over Bob Flanagan and a draw
against Will Atkinson. Van has gained 81 points in the past
- Richard Neal moved into 4th place! Richard has
gained 41 points in the past three months.
looks like a battle for 10th is going to happen between Cliff Koehler
and Will Saxe. Let's encourage them to play each other :).
- Pat Holland had a good night, gaining 69 points.
Click here to view What IF results
What If section shows what would
happen to one's ratings if one won or lost against anyone on the ladder.
About the ladder
- Play on the ladder is optional.
- Matches should be at least 15 minutes. Please do
not report blitz games.
- We use an approach like the USCF ratings.
- If a very strong player wins against a very weak player,
neither player's rankings will change.
a very weak player wins against a very strong player, then
weak player's rankings go up 50-60 points and the strong player's
ranking goes down 10-15 points.
- If two evenly matched players play each other, the winner
will go up 10-15 points.